You are an active educator and would like to integrate more music and-or you love music but have little personal musicianship and an interest in pedagogy: you can consider taking the course leading to the Willems® Introductory Musicianship Certificate:
This course takes place over 3 years, each year comprising:
- seven weekends;
- an intensive course.
These courses are accessible with entrance examination.
Tests and advisement take place at the end of the first year.
Musical and pedagogical content of the two training-courses open to all:
- participation in all aspects of music (immersion, improvisation, memory) involving the body, the voice, and sensitivity toward;
- auditory development (attributes of sound, directionality, intervals, 3- and 4 note chords, and intratonal space);
- rhythmic and metric sense, polyrhythmicity, carriage, physical movement and rhythmic improvisation;
- vocal development, singing, acquisition of a song repertoire, melodic sense, free modal and tonal improvisation;
- aural multitasking, tonal sense, simple harmony, primary harmonic functions, improvisation over cadential progressions;
- rudimentary solfège: reading notation in relative and absolute (keys) systems, simple rhythmic and melodic (diatonic and chromatic) dictation;
- melodic composition in one- and two voices;
- musical listening and the beginnings of orchestral score reading.
General and musical pedagogy:
Developmental psychology, practice teaching (in person and on video), introduction to music pedagogical sequence (three levels), deeper investigation of the 5 pedagogical themes in correlation to actual practice.
Mentoring, tests, examinations . . . ?
This is and will always be a delicate question. How reasonable is it to mentor, to verify, to test adult participants who have willingly and for often very diverse reasons come searching for an opportunity, an enriching experience . . . and not an ordeal to endure(!)
Such training cannot be scholarly. The degree of assimilation must be in proportion to each one’s motivation, receptivity, and willingness.
Therefore, different kinds of examinations (oral or written, collective or individual, written work done at home . . .) are assigned as options during the educational process.
The culminating certificate and diploma are optional..